Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

A Very Important Aspect of Rowing

Whether we like it or not, us rowers are creatures of habit. While in season we have the same daily schedule, week after week. Everyday we wake up, eat, row, work or go to school and then repeat. Not only do we develop a sense of “rhythm” in our daily schedule, but in everything we do as well.

Some may not notice their developed sense of rhythm, but trust me. It’s there. In order to become a better rower, rhythm is vital. Unless you’re stroke seat (who still needs to develop a sense of rhythm to keep a steady pace and balanced set), you aim to follow the person in front of you, from the placement of the blade in the water to the exact degree of his or her "lay back." We take this acquired skill and integrate it into everything we do.

Two of the most common activities that, out of habit, you execute with rhythm are walking and erging. Honestly, while you do anything with another person, or while listening to music, you develop rhythm without trying. Not convinced? Next time you erg a steady state piece, look at the person erging next to you. I bet you’ll be almost perfectly in sync with them.

I have had numerous personal experiences that further confirm my natural sense for rhythm. Just the other day, as I was walking to the gym for a workout, I turned on my I-Pod for some company. Before I knew it, I was walking to the beat of the song. At first I just thought it was coincidence, and didn’t think twice about it. However, after a couple more songs and a slightly faster tempo, I realized I had picked up the pace of my stride only to find that i was once again in rhythm with the current song. It doesn’t stop there. Multiple times, I’ve found myself walking down the stairs in the same step as a friend, and erging at the same steady states as my teammates.

Rhythm. It is one of the most important aspects of rowing. Once you start to become guilty of the aforementioned, you know you've accomplished its true essence. Before you know it, you'll be applying it to all of your everyday tasks. While some may question your need for perfect rhythm, you can laugh and think, "if you only knew."

Today, I leave you with a proposition:

Continue with you daily schedule like you normally would, but pay close attention to how your sense of rhythm really does find its way into each of your everyday activities! You'll be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment