Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

8 Seat

8 seat. Stroke. Leader. Whatever way you want to refer to it, it still remains to be one thing. INTIMIDATING. In order to be stroke, you must have that mindset of, "Psh, I've got this. I can lead 7 other rowers." That sure is a mindset that I haven't quite developed, but would love to. It's only for certain people. A week at stroke proved that to me. Maybe because I had the wall up, and refused to let it down, but I always felt so out of place there. I would always think to myself, every single practice, that the rowers behind me must think I'm crazy. My coxswain would command me to keep a certain stroke rate, but I could never keep it as solid as the stroke seat I was replacing for the week. It always seemed to fluctuate a stroke below or above where I was supposed to be.

According to the all-famous personality traits in an eight article, stroke is supposed to be the most competitive rower in the boat. While I don't disagree with this statement, I feel that others can be just as competitive. I'd say that I channel the competitive aspect of stroke seat much more successfully in bow. Now don't get me wrong, I love to step up and lead, but leading at stroke seat is something that takes a lot of practice. A LOT.

Ohh stroke seat. It just gives me chills thinking about it. It sure takes one confident, bad-ass rower to fill those shoes. If stroke seat doesn't show up to practice mentally, it's not going to be a good row. Plain and simple. Stroke seat sets pace, is responsible for cadence, and has to put up with the rowers behind her who feel like rushing their slide. Some of you may not understand this, but try sitting there for one practice. It's a whole new world. The conversations with the coxswain in a stern-loaded boat are always entertaining, but when it's time to snap back to reality and start practice (or a race for that matter) it sure starts to settle in.

I was stroke seat for a fall race and was nervous. I can't even imagine stroking a spring race from a dead start. Talk about pressure. If you whiff on the first stroke, there goes the rhythm of your entire boat. Oh boy.

Stroke seats worldwide, keep it rockin' up there. You guys are one in a million. Legit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with stroke seat. It is such a rush.. having to keep your pace when you can see the oar behind you coming up too fast.. AHH!! My favorite spot.. for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill just stick to bow seat. its badass enough to be number 1 for me. too legit to quit.

    ReplyDelete